Saturday June 12th & Sunday June 13th, 10am - 4pm, TWO DAYS
Learning the basics of machine sewing over a weekend. If you have never touched a sewing machine or haven’t used one in a while this is the class for you, and you'll try a variety of projects to get you started.
Our popular beginner’s class will give you a solid introduction to sewing machine essentials, learn all the basics that you need to get started and build your confidence. Each sewing project will introduce a new skill building up your sewing knowledge. Enjoy some social time meeting other likeminded creative people in our sewing studio. You will then skip out of the class having made some beautiful handmade creations.
This class is suitable for adults only, age 16+. No previous machine sewing experience is required.
Please carefully check our Terms & Conditions prior to booking.
For information on how we have adapted our bookings/terms and studio practices with regards to Covid-19, please click here.
WHAT THE CLASS WILL COVER:
We take it right back to basics and go through the different parts of the sewing machine itself, learn how to wind the bobbin, thread a machine, change a needle, adjust the tension and change the stitches. Here is what we will cover each week:
Led by our dressmaking tutor, Victoria, you’ll get to grips with the sewing machine. Learn how to sew in a straight line, turn at a corner and handle curves. We show you how to pin, sew seams and understand seam allowance. You'll make a really useful shopping tote and then it’s time to insert your first zip! You’ll make a fully lined zipper purse to stretch your growing skills. You can also plan your future projects and ask for advice.
Develop your skills further by making a patchwork table runner under the guidance of Aileen. You’ll plan and assemble your own design using pre-cut fabric so that you can concentrate on the sewing. You’ll work on improving your seam allowance accuracy and then tackle some top-stitching and quilting!
- Professional tuition and guidance from Victoria & Aileen
- Patterns & templates for use in the class
- Use of our Janome sewing machines
We provide Janome M100 digital sewing machines for use in class - it’s not possible to bring your own machine to a group beginner’s class. If you have any questions please feel free to call or email us.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO BRING:
- 0.5 metre each of two different quilt-weight craft cotton fabrics for your tote bag and zipper purse. It helps if the fabrics complement each other.
- 12” zip (available to purchase in class)
- One “charm pack” of 42 pre-cut squares (ask in-store if you are unsure or need advice)
- 0.5 metre of bonded interlining
- Machine-sewing thread (sew-all polyester thread or quality cotton is recommended)
- Basic sewing kit (fabric scissors, tape measure, seam ripper, pins etc.) - due to Covid-19 restrictions, you MUST bring or purchase your own sewing kit as we cannot currently provide shared equipment.
- Bring a notebook to jot down measurements, instructions and any future fabric requirements.
- The Sew Studio basic sewing kit is available to purchase at the first session for a special price of £15 for workshop participants (normally £19.99)
Day 1 - Saturday June 12th, 10am – 4pm
Day 2 - Sunday June 13th, 10am – 4pm