Starts Monday February 21st, 6.30pm - 9pm, SIX WEEKS
Please note that this workshop will take place in our new SYC Studio! See further details below.
Week 1 - Monday February 21st, 6.30pm - 9pm
Week 2 - Monday February 28th, 6.30pm - 9pm
Week 3 - Monday March 7th, 6.30pm - 9pm
NOTE, there is no class on March 14th & 21st to allow for sewing and pre-wash time!
Week 4 - Monday March 28th, 6.30pm - 9pm
Week 5 - Monday April 4th, 6.30pm - 9pm
Week 6 - Monday April 11th, 6.30pm - 9pm
Hosted by Aileen, in this group you will tackle a more challenging patchwork project - you'll create improvised patchwork (ideally using your scrappy stash!) and transform it into a wonderful quilted jacket using the Tamarack pattern from Grainline Studios.
WHAT THE CLASS WILL COVER:
- Improvised patchwork, creating scrappy freeform blocks
- Quilting techniques - by hand, using a walking foot and free motion
- Make and apply bias-cut binding from scratch
- We will also recap on techniques to improve accuracy from beginning to end of the project
We are delighted to be able to welcome you to our refurbished studio! It is accessed down a flight of stairs from the shop with alternative access direct to the basement for anyone requiring an entrance without steps. If you do have any accessibility needs or questions, please let us know in the comments when you book.
When attending any class, we will meet you at the door 10mins before the start time. If you are running late and arrive to a closed front door, please walk down the side alley (Wilson's Close) to the signposted side entrance and ring the doorbell.
This class is suitable for ambitious beginners & improvers - you need to have a little understanding of patchwork and machine sewing. You don't need lots of dressmaking to complete the garment, but you should have completed some basic sewing projects. If you are completely new to machine sewing, we suggest you try our Beginners Sewing Weekend first.
This class is suitable for adults only, age 16+.
Please carefully check our Terms & Conditions prior to booking.
For information on how we have adapted our bookings/terms and studio practices with regards to Covid-19, please click here.
- Professional tuition by Aileen
- Techniques handouts
- Use of our Janome digital sewing machines and studio equipment
- Endless encouragement and advice!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO BRING:
- Tamarack Pattern - printed copies are available to purchase in the shop or at class. We will also look at hood/collar options.
- Pattern paper to trace off your size and make any adjustments
- Approx 2.5m scraps for basic jacket - more if you wish to add collar/hood/adventurous pockets!
- 2.5m fabric for interior (or you can have a plain exterior and fancy patchwork lining)
- 2.5m wadding of your choice - we stock wool, cotton and polyester at the shop and can advise you during class, and again this can be pieced using offcuts from previous quilts etc.
- Basic sewing kit (thread, scissors, tape measure, seam ripper, clips/pins etc.) and a rotary cutter