Saturday & Sunday, March 19th-20th, 10am - 4pm, TWO CONSECUTIVE DAYS
Please note that this workshop will take place in our new SYC Studio! See further details below.
Enjoy learning the basics of machine sewing over a weekend with Aileen. If you have never touched a sewing machine or haven’t used one in a while this is the class for you, and you'll try a variety of projects to get you started.
Our popular beginner’s class will give you a solid introduction to sewing machine essentials, learn all the basics that you need to get started and build your confidence. Each sewing project will introduce a new skill building up your sewing knowledge. Enjoy some social time meeting other likeminded creative people in our sewing studio. You will then skip out of the class having made some beautiful handmade creations.
We are delighted to be able to welcome you to our refurbished studio! It is accessed down a flight of stairs from the shop with alternative access direct to the basement for anyone requiring an entrance without steps. If you do have any accessibility needs or questions, please let us know in the comments when you book.
When attending any class, we will meet you at the shop door 10mins before the start time. If you are running late and arrive to a closed front door, please walk down the side alley (Wilson's Close) to the signposted side entrance and ring the doorbell.
This group is suitable for anyone who is completely new to machine sewing, or wants to refresh long-forgotten skills.
This class is suitable for adults only, age 16+.
Please carefully check our Terms & Conditions prior to booking.
For information on how we have adapted our bookings/terms and studio practices with regards to Covid-19, please click here.
WHAT THE CLASS WILL COVER:
We take it right back to basics and go through the different parts of the sewing machine itself, learn how to wind the bobbin, thread a machine, change a needle, adjust the tension and change the stitches. Here is what we will cover:
You’ll get to grips with the sewing machine. Learn how to sew in a straight line, turn at a corner and handle curves. We show you how to pin, sew seams and understand seam allowance. You'll make a really useful shopping tote and then it’s time to insert your first zip! You’ll make a simple zipper purse to stretch your growing skills. You can also plan your future projects and ask for advice.
Develop your skills further by making a patchwork table runner. You’ll plan and assemble your own design using pre-cut fabric so that you can concentrate on the sewing. You’ll work on improving your seam allowance accuracy and then tackle some top-stitching and quilting!
- Professional tuition and guidance from Victoria & Aileen
- Patterns & templates for use in the class
- Use of our Janome sewing machines
We provide Janome M100 digital sewing machines for use in class - it’s not possible to bring your own machine to a group beginner’s class. If you have any questions please feel free to call or email us.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO BRING:
- Half-a-metre of two different 100% cotton fabrics (1m total, quilt-weight type) for your tote bag and zipper purse. Prints that work nicely together are ideal, because you can use them together for front/back/inside/outside of the projects as needed.
- You will need a 10” zip, this is INCLUDED and will be available at the workshop
- One “charm pack” of 42 pre-cut squares (ask in-store if you are unsure or need advice)
- 0.5 metre of bonded interlining (it’s important that you ask in-store if you’re unsure what this is, or search our website)
- Machine-sewing thread (sew-all polyester thread or quality cotton is recommended)
- Basic sewing kit (bobbins, fabric scissors, tape measure, seam ripper, pins etc.)
Our SYC basic sewing kit is available to purchase at the first session for a special price of £15 for workshop participants (normally £19.99)
- Bring a notebook to jot down measurements, instructions and any future fabric requirements.