Friday July 8th, 10am - 4pm
Learn about the fundamentals of using an overlocker, take the fear out of threading up the machine and know what to do when things go wrong! An overlocker will give you a much more professional finish to your makes and you'll conquer your nerves - they're easy to use when you learn how. Victoria will also introduce you to all the adjustable settings on your overlocker and show you how to use these to get the perfect finish with different fabrics.
WHAT THE CLASS WILL COVER:
- Basic introduction to our overlocker including how to thread a 4 bobbin machine
- You'll learn hints and tips about working with stretch fabrics
- An overview of basic stitches and tensions
- How to overlock a corner and a curve
- Adjusting stitch length and differential feed
- How to lower the blade
- How to create a rolled hem
- Securing ends
- An overview of feet accessible with an overlocker
- You will learn various hemming techniques using sample pieces
- Leave the class feeling confident in handling your own overlocker at home
We have updated our workshop/event Terms and Conditions as at 1st May 2022. Please check here before booking as once purchased, tickets are non-refundable.
PLEASE ALSO NOTE:
We are delighted to be able to welcome you to our refurbished studio! It is accessed from the main shop down a flight of stairs from the shop with alternative access direct to the basement for anyone requiring an entrance without steps. If you do have any accessibility needs or questions, please let us know in the comments when you book.
When attending any class, we will meet you at the shop front door 10mins before the start time. If you are running late and arrive to a closed front door, please go to the side alley (Wilson's Close) to the signposted side entrance and ring the doorbell.
This group is not suitable for complete beginners to sewing as you must be able to fill a bobbin, thread a machine and sew with accurate straight seam allowance. If you are completely new to sewing, we suggest you try our Beginner Sewing Weekend.
However if you have a little machine sewing experience and would like to work on your project with a little extra advice then this one-day workshop will be perfect for you!
This class is suitable for adults only, age 16+.
Please carefully check our Terms & Conditions prior to booking.
- Professional tuition by Victoria
- Sample pieces of different fabric types and weights to work on
- Use of our Janome 6234XL overlockers and studio equipment
- Endless encouragement and advice!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO BRING:
Basic sewing kit (thread, scissors, tape measure, seam ripper, clips/pins etc.)
This is a skills-based class and sample fabric is provided therefore you don't need to purchase any pattern/fabric ahead of the workshop.